Friday, July 18, 2008

Dietary and sanity concerns

"Nonna," recently widowed, has come to stay a while. Like many elderly persons she enjoys robust health with any number of minor evils such as diabetes. This addition, challenges my already over-burdened cookery skills.

From first light I am consumed with thoughts of 'what shall I cook for dinner?' I have a mental image of the interior of the fridge, swollen to capacity, both fridge and brain. The box of "organic" vegetables must be consumed forthwith, a perishing nightmare.

Is it possible to make 6 ounces of left over chicken into a meal for six? I'll make some "bread," padding.

I remember to remind her to take a rattling variety of pills prior to meals, in between meals and after meals. I decide that I need even more "timers" to get through the average day.

If I could get eliminate the really big vegetables then I might be actually able to see what else is lurking in their. Two foot of Bok Choy, 18 inches of Kale and four heads of lettuce, is enough to turn me rabid if not rancid.

I also need to take account of those watching their weight, their blood pressure, their cholesterol. I cannot begin to accommodate the neophobic into this murky matrix. The bread maker churns.

I field demands from small people throughout the day, no time to think or create or devise menu plans. I wonder if summer holidays are longer than they used to be or shorter?

I deliver all the play date victims back to their respective homes at the end of the day. As I drive back to the house with my own children in tow, I settle on Stir Fried Bok Choy mixed with Chicken Teriyaki and sesame seeds.

The children bound into the house to enjoy thirty minutes of electronic time which leaves me free to cook. I check on Nonna, "everything o.k.?" I beam. She smiles and nods confirming that her hearing aid is adrift. I pick up her laundry and a few empty dishes and mugs. "Your bread turned out very nicely."
"Did it?"
"Yes it started beeping whilst you were out."
"Oh good."
"Yes I helped myself to some, like you said I should. I used that left over chicken. It made a lovely sandwich."

Which "life" am I living?

6 comments:

farmwifetwo said...

I made bbq'd hamburgers and deep fried some fries in my cast-iron frying pan on the bbq side burner... OK, it was late and HOT and I wasn't cooking much.

none said...

Kale and bok choy cooked in sesame oil, soy sauce and onions is out of this world.

I need to get a bread maker I'm tired of paying 5 bucks for a loaf of rye or pumpernickel.

Whitenoise said...

Too funny. ;-)

Trixie said...

I guess it was a vegetarian stir fry then?

Niksmom said...

OMG that is TOO funny! Well, I'm quite certain you didn't think so at the time...

captain corky said...

A Maddy's work is never done. ;)