Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The cost of moving?

I watch him out of the corner of my eye as I do the washing up by hand. Every day he receives an automatically generated message of the latest available houses in the UK. Which house and where, it’s our new perseveration? Clearly my eye contact bores into his brain as he turns to face me, “did you see the water bill this month?”
“No. Why?”
“It’s prohibitive!”
“Well that’s presumably the price we have to pay for a green lawn in the desert!” I snap. He opens his mouth and then closes it again to turn back to the screen.

Whilst he examines property details I nip around the house to flush and scrub the toilets in an effort to remove 24 hours worth of waste from far too many individuals with very individual needs. I wonder if they have all adopted a campaign to save water and redeem my tarnished reputation with Mother Earth? I zip downstairs again as fast as possible as property details can be a distraction from the main event.

I take the room temperature milk from the counter and place it in the fridge. I take the sugar pot out of the fridge and put it on the counter. I collect discs of dried up salami scattered in abundance, a Hansel and Gretel trail through the kitchen.

I used to be like the kitchen design. Nonna struggles with unco-operative cereal packets on a too high shelf, so I step up and step over to help.

The main event are still happily playing with Pokemon with the volume on full and flying plush animal antics. He comes up behind me to watch too. Nonna appears with a mug and a meniscus. I could do with some caffeine myself. He slips his arms around my waist, “you know, we wouldn’t have to worry about the water bill if we were in England again.”

I watch the coffee slosh onto the floor.

Which life "where?"

4 comments:

farmwifetwo said...

I finally got to see your 15 things video last night when I was in Mi. Very brave... and made me smile.

Just remember... you move... you stop in TO on the way to England... HINT!!!!!!!!!

S.

none said...

Rock gardens are great for the desert. If it doesn't rain here soon I may have to resort to that.

Angela DeRossett said...

Um...I thought England was Evil?

Trixie said...

Shall I send him a copy of MY water bill? I'm paying £50 a month at the moment to cover it! And I don't water gardens!